That are the male/female cavy that is best fits for best-buddy experience, and which matches could bring the essential dilemmas in their social life. I really hope this informative article will makes things simple for you yourself to determine in your guinea pigs’ social lives and also make them live delighted together.
1. Why do you want multiple guinea pig?
Because guinea pigs have become social pets, it is usually suggested which they live with one or more another cage mate. Having only one guinea pig makes his/her life lonely, regardless of how long you spend with them, since you aren’t (presumably, when you are scanning this) of a cavy species, but individual – which simply does not cut it. We don’t talk their language, they trying to say to us although we can mostly understand what are.
Solo guinea pig could get lonely, less interested, less vocal, less active, less funny. It isn’t normal in order for them to live with no other of these type.
When residing together, guinea pigs would communicate together, play and run around more, follow and groom one another, and perchance also rest cuddled up together.
Whenever cage that is choosing, it will always be better to have a similar sex, or various gender but neutered – because there are a lot of abandoned guinea pigs in neighborhood dog shelters, and breeding is usually not recommended, as you can save your self the people through the shelters. This, of course, very relies on your location that become a mail order bride is geographical and pig populace.
2. Fancy terms
- Boar: Male guinea pig.
- Sow: Feminine guinea pig.
- Sexing guinea pigs: Determining in case a guinea pig is a boar or even a sow.
- Neutering: a broad term used to explain the castration of the male animal. It is made of getting rid of the testicles.
- Spaying: an over-all term used to explain the ovariohysterectomy of the sow. It is composed of a removal of a sow’s reproductive organ – either the whole thing or even a part that is considerably large. It really is a drastic and complicated procedure that is surgical.
Both spaying and neutering are medical procedures that give your pet not capable of reproducing. These are typically done by way of a veterinarian. They truly are mostly done due to the overpopulation of animal shelters – it is best to save lots of the people which occur then to breed brand new people.
If having a selection, always neuter your guinea that is male pig. The procedure is much more complicated for feminine guinea pigs. Constantly speak to your guinea pig veterinarian first.
3. Preparations before launching newbies
- You should be 100% certain you realize the intercourse of the guinea pigs. There are several pages that are great this, like with this website website website link. If you should be nevertheless unsure concerning the sex, pose a question to your veterinarian. Don’t count on the given information fond of you because of the animal store workers.
- Prepare a big cage that is enough there is the minimal suggested proportions on the guinea pig cages web web page.
- If having two males, prepare separate hiding places and meals bowls, so every one may have “his very very own stuff”.
- The cage and all sorts of the cage add-ons must be washed making use of vinegar, to get rid of all past scents. Rearranging the cage inside can be suggested to eliminate the prevailing touch” that is“personal.
- Wash your guinea pigs to hide their natural somewhat fragrance. One great tip from Jackie’s Guinea Piggies is always to rub the hay through the current guinea pigs cage in the new comer. This way the newbie would notably smell just like a member associated with herd.
- Quarantine period for a new guinea pig. Your guinea that is new pig carry some diseases that could incubate for some time, and distribute among your existing cavies. Therefore, it is vital to quarantine your guinea that is new pig at minimum fourteen days, therefore possible ailments would show with time to avoid epidemic. Keep consitently the newcomer from your recurring guinea pigs, and wash your hand always after managing the newcomer.
4. Guinea pig matches
The guinea that is following matches are bought from easiest to possibly problematic.
- Two child guinea pigs
- Baby guinea pig and a mature guinea pig associated with the gender that is same
- Neutered male and something or maybe more females
- Two females. It’s possible which they will never go along – will depend on their characters
- Two men could reside in harmony, but that depends upon a specific instance – again, regarding the character for the guinea pigs under consideration
5. Introductions guidelines and guidelines
- Whenever launching brand new guinea pig, never place your brand brand new guinea pig straight into the cage where your old guinea pig has already been residing.
- Their very first conference must be done regarding the big, enclosed “neutral ground” – somewhere away from cage, in an area that is a new comer to both guinea pigs, like a specific area of a home or your bathroom.
- Put a stack of hay and treats (vegetables) to the center associated with area.
- Put your entire guinea pigs to the area.
- Prepare some towels, in the event they begin to get actually aggressive.
- Observe they behaviour: ignoring each other is normal. Then, all of this might happen: mounting the other person, teeth chattering, chasing around, purring followed closely by swaggering stroll, etc. It really is a thing that is natural them – establishing hierarchy, who’s the boss, who’s the friendly neighbor and whom does not care. This can simply just take about hour; from then on, you really need to nevertheless observe them for the next number of hours.
- Following the observing period (about 3 hours alltogether) they need to appear more comfortable with one another. They can be placed by you in the cage together.
- Observe their behaviour into the cage for the next time frame, in order to be sure these are typically okay.
- When they don’t appear to get on after their time together devoted in the ground that is neutral read further. You will need to throw a towel at the aggressive one and separate one from another if they start to get physically aggressive and fight.
6. Imagine if they don’t get on?
It’s possible that the guinea pigs won’t go along, no real matter what you will do and exactly how very carefully you’ve got browse the directions about this handbook web page. Don’t be alarmed or disheartened – nature simply works this way.
Should this happen, you will want to have them divided in some manner. The thing that is best to accomplish will be have them near sufficient so they really could see, smell and communicate with each other, but they are divided with a few variety of a partition. They have been nevertheless social, and achieving another guinea pig inside their vicinity will be a deal that is great them.